Our History

Bradford Unitarians was formed from two congregations. Broadway Avenue Unitarian Church was founded in 1906 in a ‘temporary’ building – which ended up lasting exactly 100 years! The other Unitarian congregation in Bradford was founded in 1672 at Horton Hall, moving in 1689 to Wibsey Fold – the chapel still survives as a cottage. 

Horton Hall

The congregation moved again in 1719 to Toad Lane, later called Chapel Lane, where a large Gothic building was erected in 1869. This was demolished in 1969 to make way for city centre development, and Bradford Unitarians moved to its current, purpose-built home at Russell Street, a quiet area close to the city centre and University.

The modern, airy building has excellent acoustics, an organ and a grand piano. There is disabled access and an induction loop for hearing aid users. There is also plenty of parking, both in our own car park and free on-street parking.

Russell Street

Our members support many local and national initiatives, such as: The Peace Museum, Bradford Toy Library, The Trussell Trust (foodbank), Send a Child to Hucklow (breaks for underprivileged children), “Standing on the side of Love” (Campaigning for Equal Rights – Unitarian churches and chapels represent over half the places of worship licensed for equal marriage) and Interfaith Projects among others.

We are part of the General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches.

For a list of upcoming events, please see our ‘What’s On’ page